Monday, October 16, 2006

A New Challenge...

Well, something new for me...starting a Pilates Class. Yolanda, a good friend of mine talked with me about the next class; as she had attended one and said it may help my back. With Pilates; a core strengthener, is the goal.

I was very interested in anything that would help my back. As if you know me, I have had 2 back surgeries and I am worse with the last one. I try to think positive, but the pain is constant and a reminder everyday. I wake up with severe pain and it does ease during the day, but then as I get ready for bed, the pain is back again.

I payed my dues, looking forward to a new challenge. I gathered my mat and comfortable clothing and off I went. I get tickled with the names of the exercises...like, "The Dead Bug", on our backs and arms and legs straight up in the air, trying to breathe with ease, while strengthening our core. " Scissors" is another one that makes me laugh. On our backs again and, with legs in the air and trying to vision cutting paper. The one that tickles me the most...we are once again on our backs. Hands are behind our neck, legs are in the position of getting ready to give labor....that's what my mind brings to me. I know, strange, but it does get me through the exercises. Unfortunately, I'm not sure that Pilates is for me. In my last session, I can't remember the exercise that has locked my back with more and different pain, but with the new pain, I don't think I will be going again. I was so hoping this was for me.

I have adjusted to my daily pain, with the surgeries, that have not helped, in the past. But, when a new pain comes along, it is and can be very much, another challenge.....to get better and go on with my daily habits and more. I am not complaining, please don't look at it that way...just another, purging.

Thanks for listening....

2 Comments:

Blogger Dave said...

Ive always wanted to try Pilates...I am so impressed by your persistence and optomism with the pain that you deal with everyday...dont give up, I know there is something out there that will work for you...love to you...

7:52 PM  
Blogger erin said...

Hi Ms. J. I took Pilates back in Ohio and really liked it. BUT, I don't have back pain so I don't know what that would be like. One thing you might consider though is talking with the instructor about your back pain, what type you have, etc. Usually they're really knowledgeable and will show you how to adapt the moves that might hurt you. Just a thought.

I sure hope you find something that helps. I think about you and your pain a lot!

8:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home