Monday, June 19, 2006

Father's Day

I'm married to a wonderful man. My Bill is, warm, giving and a sensitive man with lots of love that he gives to both Paul and I. I think he just turned out to be a wonderful and compasionate person to all he associates with. Even thought Bill didn't have a father around for most of his life, he had a great and loving family.....which consists of his mother, Annie, Grandmother Hester,( we all called her Granny) a Grandfather, to whom he had always thought to be like a dad that he didn't know or see. Lots of Aunts, Uncles and cousins around. So, one can see the love he was provided and, as they all considered him their own. Bill is open to all that comes his way. He thinks long and hard to what needs to be done with any situation. When my father died in 1984, he was the one that came to the rescue, helping us through all that needed to be done. Getting the casket, writing the obituary, as that was not something any of my family could do at the time. Through the death of his Grandfather( his strength), his mother, ( his love), his grandmother( her warmth), and his many Aunts and Uncles that he has lost, he has become the man that he is today. Having our son, Paul has given him a different perspective of being a father and in some ways I think not having his own dad around, and what it has been like ,to go through all, has driven him to want it more for Paul, than for himself. Bill's dad is still living, in fact in Andrews N.C., where Bill and his mom had met. We were able to meet him and visit with his 5th wife, (which origianlly was his 1st).......that's another story in its self. So, Austin is now in Bill's life and Paul's. I have to admit that Paul was very angry with the way Bill was treated all these years ,( without a father image) and really did NOT want to meet Austin. When we made a trip back to N.C. a few years back, Bill mentioned that he wanted Paul to meet Austin.....that was something that Paul DID NOT want in his life! He was always so very angry with this. When Bill explained he wanted him to do it for him, he agreed, as I think Paul will do anything for his dad! Actually there is a story I would like to share, as it brought all of us to the recent connection with both Austin and his wife, Gladys. When Bill's Grandmother passed away , which has now been over 6 years, Bill needed to fly back to N.C. and deal with the estate. Bill's mom and Grandmother lived together for some 50 yrs., as Annie never remarried. ( I have always thought Annie was still in love with Austin). Bill's Uncle David lived across the street from Annie and Granny's house. There was a local Flea Market called, "Hillbilly Flea Market," down in town. David had asked Bill if he wanted to see the place. So, off they went. On occasions there was a local band that played there to provide intertainment for the locals. David and Bill walked in and there was Austin listening to the music. In Austin's youth and even now in his 80's, he has a band and loves to sing. David and Bill went up to him and there they stood. David introduced Bill to Austin as, this is Billy Ensley. Austin shook his hand and went on his way listening to the band. Within a few minutes, Austin said," well with the name Ensley, we must be related, who's you daddy?" Bill put his hand on his shoulder and said," You Are!" My heart went out to Bill when he called that evening to tell me what had happened. With tears streaming from my eyes, I just couldn't beleive what I had heard. Bill claimed that he thought it was all too funny. As Bill has always said to me that he really can't be angry at someone he had never known as a friend, let alone a dad. After that, Gladys come into the picture and she really wanted us to visit them in their home. Also, for Bill and Austin to get to know each other. So, we now have had that chance to visit with them and talk on the phone. It didn't surprise me when Bill mentioned sending some pictures and a card to Austin, for Father's Day. We grilled yesterday and as the coals were getting hot, Bill called his father to wish him a good day. As, you can see, Bill has gone through what he has and turned out to be that man he is......in spite of not having his own father around. Thanks for listening, as it brings both tears and joy for me to write.

4 Comments:

Blogger Terry said...

I've always thought that Bill was an amazing man -- great father and always upbeat despite not having his father in his life. Now, I have Tom, and think that men raised by women tend to be more sensitive and loving than most. Love you both!

12:41 PM  
Blogger erin said...

It's familiar to me but that story is still SO amazing. Mr. Bill really is a wonderful man...and amazingly strong! And he sure picked a good wife...

1:32 PM  
Blogger Lori Grimes said...

Ya know, I never knew that about Bill and his father. It has always amazed me how close he and Paul are. They are both very lucky to have such a strong bond. I'm sure Paul will pass that bond on to his children.

5:03 PM  
Blogger Dave said...

I really believe that our experiences shape who we are as people, and sometimes I think the bad ones do the most shaping. It really is so neat what a great dad Mr Bill is for not having his own dad as a role model. I know you and Paul feel so lucky to have such a wonderful man as husband and father.

9:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home